First StepsTime to read: 10 minutes
Thank you for choosing PepperShop1!
This document describes the first steps after the Installation of the shop system. As PepperShop Administrator, you will be guided through the most important configuration steps in this document and will be explained the first administration tasks. At the very end of the document there are hints and tips.
Legal aspects of the operation of an e-commerce system are also described.
Using the PepperShop Administration:
- Navigation of PepperShop Administration (main and sub menus)
- Input field to browse navigation / button at the top: collapse left navigation
- Shopping cart = change to customer page, floating ring = help for current page content
Check administration password protection
First of all you have to make sure that the shop administration is protected with a password. Therefore, first go to the shop administration. To do this, add the term shop/Admin/ to your existing shop URL (if there is an index.php extension, delete it first).
Example: http://www.example.com/shop/Admin/) - please note that this is case-sensitive.
Check if a reddish bar appears at the top with a warning that a password has not yet been set. If there is a corresponding message, please follow the displayed instructions and save the administration.
Verification of system compatibility
If the shop does not run on a hosting system of the PepperShop manufacturer Glarotech:
You should now first switch to the main menu of the shop administration of your PepperShop. Go first to the point ‘Shop settings’ > ‘Shop configuration’. Here you should have a look at the diagnostic output. Red dots indicate problems. Further information on open questions about the displayed diagnostic outputs can be found in the PepperShop Forums or in the FAQ list.
Initial configuration of the shop system
Afterwards you should go through the following menus in the Shop-Administration one after the other to adapt the shop system to your own needs. If you have any questions about the individual settings, you can click on the help button below:
- General Settings
- Address, e-mail and VAT details, payment methods and a setting for articles: The conversion of product characteristics (variants) for parent products and sub products2.
- Delivery countries and shipping
- For each country group you can specify payment methods, activation, fees and shipping methods. For each type of shipment their costs depending on the type of billing.
- currency settings
- Activate other currencies here and enter the exchange rate.
- The PepperShop can be operated in several languages. Further language sets are offered here: http://www.peppershop.com/sprachsets/
Open the section Layout Settings in the main menu. You will find the following subcategories:
- Themes / Layout Management
- Here you choose a theme and adjust the design 3. Individual implementations are also possible. Ideas can be picked up at the live shops: http://live.peppershop.com
- Upload shop buttons (buttons) and pictures (background & shop logo)4
- Most shop buttons are now created via CSS and dynamically rendered via layout management. However, some graphics are still used in the system. These can be replaced here with your own files – e.g. stock indicators.
- Image upload
- Background images and the shop logo are uploaded here.
Entry of the assortment
First create the categories in the category management. This is where the products are later classified. The pre-installed demo categories can be easily deleted / ignored. The desired action can be selected by calling up the category.
Now the products are entered or imported, e.g. via ‘Product’ > ‘Add new product’ or under ‘Import’ / ‘Export’ > ‘Import / Export Tool’. An example assortment is available after a new installation.
Tip: If you are using the import/export tool, you should first create an export so that all column captions are known. Please pay attention to the date formats (US / DE)5.
If you are working with variants per article, you should decide early whether you want to use the easy-to-administer standard variants of the shop, but with which no export, no multilingual variants and no stock management per variant are possible. Alternatively, you can use the parent and sub product to use the characteristics in the shop without the disadvantages mentioned. Details: Parent/Subproduct PDF Guide. The switch for the variants can be found in ‘Shop settings’ > ‘General shop settings’ > ‘Edit products’.
Statutory adjustments: AGB and Imprint
In the ‘Shop-Administration’ > ‘General settings’ in the tab ‘Customer info / Revocation / General terms and conditions’ the general terms and conditions have to be used. Rule at least jurisdiction and revocation.
The imprint is linked by default for each page visible in the footer. In Switzerland, an imprint obligation similar to the German provider identification has been in force since 1 April 2012. In the imprint therefore the contact data, as well as the address from the general settings are automatically adopted and displayed, markers are used for this. The imprint must be completed by the administrators according to the legal requirements: ‘Own content’ > ‘Edit content'. In Germany, among other things, the provider identification obligation must be fulfilled.
The PepperShop is Trusted Shops pre-certified. You are faster on the market, receive discounted conditions and benefit from special discounts.
If you are located in Germany or supply to the German market, your e-commerce system must also comply with the legal provisions applicable in the target market (this provision does not apply only to Germany). We have prepared a special preconfiguration for Germany:
Important settings for Germany (company headquarters or delivery address)
General shop settings
- shop configuration
- Order overview Display → on the order completion page
- Show article pictures in shopping cart
- Edit product
- Product price additional advertisement → ☑ Display VAT information → ☑ Show shipping info → ☑ Use basic price
- Customer info/revocation/general terms and conditions
- → ☑ Should the text for customer information / cancellation instructions be displayed during the ordering process?
- → ☑ in the e-mail. (Please also write a corresponding text.)
Furthermore, we must activate an information message for countries outside the EU which informs the customer of additional costs such as customs and taxes on the order completion page:
Countries of delivery and shipping
- Edit country group → ☑ Show additional costs info
Note: Please make sure that product names describe the essential characteristics of an article!
Via Own Contents - Edit navigation – Create new entry – Page with content – Type = Page with content – Page = Shipping and payment insert the entry (e.g. with Infolinks).
Search engine optimization (SEO)
The PepperShop offers automatic search engine optimization for all shop data, especially categories and products, as well as static pages. Thus products are optimally prepared for search engines.
But the most important thing is that you register your shop with all relevant search engines to generate more traffic. For Google, the login URL is as follows (you need to create a free Webmaster Tools account): https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url
After all products are registered, one should in Product > Bulk management on the button so that search engine optimization uses all products (all products that do not yet have a virtual file name are given a edited name here).
If you like, you can also create a sitemap6 (product > bulk management > sitemap button) and link it e.g. at the Google Webmaster-Tools; this is highly recommended.
Check which products work well, which you still miss in the shop and where the visitors move in the shop (and leave it again). The PepperShop offers various options for this:
- Show turnover (per article / over the whole shop / in a time window): Go to the shop administration and select ‘Customers/Orders’ > ‘Article Order Search’.
- Search Analysis Module: This module shows you what your customers are looking for in the shop and how many results the shop has shown you. So here you can see where the trends are heading and what you are still missing from the range.
- Google Analytics Module: With the Google Analytics Module, the PepperShop offers a very extensive integration of the shop with over 300 different information data for the Google Analytics analysis software provided by Google free of charge. With this tool you see the visitor flows in the shop and can realize extensive reports. It is very important to keep an eye on where visitors leave the shop the most. From this it can be concluded whether, for example, marketing campaigns address the wrong prospective customers (jump always already in the article catalogue) or whether relevant payment methods are missing (jump always in the cash register).
Enterprise Version Interfaces
If the Enterprise version is used, all current interface descriptions (processes, CSV data transfer, XML order export, …) can be downloaded from the following address: http://www.peppershop.com/anleitungen.php/enterprise
Your first order has arrived?
We have written instructions on how to process incoming orders and what to pay attention to.
Get the latest information
The e-commerce trade takes place in a rapidly changing environment. New technologies are constantly needed or presupposed or there are new legal framework conditions. We recommend the following two steps:
- Register for the PepperShop Newsletter
- Read the PepperShop Blog or subscribe to the RSS-Feed of it
- Exciting are also always contributions on the PepperShop Facebook or Google+ page or the news service Twitter messages.
Your PepperShop grows with you
As time goes by, you will make further demands on your e-commerce solution, the PepperShop grows with it. Expand your shop with an ERP connection or with modules:
- Buying customers: http://www.peppershop.com/shop/ki/Erweiterungsmodule-28.html
- Glarotech hosting customers: http://www.peppershop.com/hk/module.php
- Cash solution: http://www.peppershop.com/pos
In contrast to other shop solutions, the PepperShop also offers a project business. Have your PepperShop reprogrammed according to your needs in order to optimally integrate processes or to work more productively with new interfaces thanks to automation. Just ask: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- for questions about the PepperShop often a click on ‘Show help’ or ‘Help archive’ helps. It is also possible that a specific manual has been created for your request, see PepperShop manuals.
- answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the FAQ (frequently asked questions), for example the system requirements. These can be accessed directly via ‘Help & News’ > ‘Help Archive’.
- probably your question has already been answered in the extensive PepperShop Forums.
- many instructions are available for download.
- you may already find a solution described in the Shopsystem Feature List for a particular functionality you are looking for, or it may be available as an extension module in the PepperShop Sales System
- If you need direct support via phone or e-mail, Support Packages are available.
Note: Modules are not available for the basic version of the PepperShop.
Until mid August 2016 PepperShop still called itself PhPepperShop. Except for the name, which is now a bit more catchy and the technology PHP no longer carries as an acronym in the name, everything remains the same. Also in the new logo a pepper appears schematically as a symbol for a sharp software. ↩︎
We recommend not to use the fields ‘Active from, Active to, Action from, Action to’ for new entries. The reason for this is that the PepperShop requires an American date format: (DDDD-MM-YY HH:MM: SS) - the programs Excel/OpenOffice.org adapt this however fully automatically to the formats used by the user and supply then invalid values. This can be avoided by selecting the ‘Text’ type as the number type in the respective column. ↩︎
Shop administration: “Articles” > “Mass Mutations” > “Sitemap” ↩︎